If you’re looking to launch a new website, the next question is whether you should hire someone to design it for you. If you’re not sure whether or not this is the best option for your business, this blog post will help cut through some of the speculation and give you some clear-cut answers.
In this post, we’ll go over what a web designer does, why hiring one can be beneficial, and how to find one.
What is a Website Designer Calgary?
A web designer’s job is to make sure that your website looks the way you want it to, that it performs well in search engines, and that it’s easy for visitors to navigate. In order to do this, they have to be familiar with website creation tools such as Dreamweaver or Expression Engine. They also need to know how to use the HTML and CSS coding languages (more on that further down in this post).
There are a number of different things that a web design can do for you, such as create a logo; design graphics, menus, and buttons; or plan out how your site will be organized. The broad term “web designer” covers this type of work but it also includes the more technical side of web design – coding.
why hire one?
So why should you hire someone to design your site for you? Well, first off there are several advantages to hiring an expert rather than doing it yourself.
1. EXPERTISE: A website designer has more expertise about what makes a great-looking site and how to implement all of the little nuances like colors, fonts, and layouts. They understand what good design looks like and can create something that will appeal to your customers.
2. TIME: Maybe you don’t want to spend hours learning how to code everything yourself or you have a pile of other work that needs your attention. Hiring a web designer will save you time while getting the same results as doing it yourself.
3. WEBSITE SUPPORT: Another advantage of hiring a web designer rather than doing it yourself is that your website will be backed by people who can fix any issues that come up and provide ongoing support. That way if you ever have trouble with your site (which inevitably happens), there will be someone there to help.
4. MONEY: Finally, it’s worth noting that you’ll save a lot of money if you hire a designer rather than learning to do everything on your own. Designing a site from scratch isn’t easy and there are lots of technical things that you’ll have to learn. A website professional can create the same site for less money because they know how to do everything themselves.
HOW DO I FIND A WEB DESIGNER IN CALGARY?
If you think making a hire is the best option for your business, the first thing to do is to look at the portfolio of your potential web designer(s). It’s important to understand what they’ve done in the past so you know if you’re on the same page. If you want something that looks a certain way, make sure that whoever you hire has experience in creating sites like this or at the very least, some sort of portfolio to show for it.
Secondly, talk with people who have hired web designers in the past and ask if they were happy with their choice. This will give you a better idea of who will be the best for your business.
Finally, don’t just hire the first designer you come across – shop around a little to make sure you get the best deal for your money. Make sure the person or company you hire is available when you need them and will provide you with ongoing support if there are any issues with your site down the road.
Here are a few other questions you should ask about a website designer Calgary:
* What is your design philosophy? (ie: clean and simple, flashy and interactive)
* How do you typically work with your clients? (ie: Skype, email, in-person)
* Do you have a writing style guide for text content on my site? (ie: I want to use a certain tone of voice, I want to use certain words that come across in my marketing material, etc. )
* Will my website be mobile optimized?
* Will your work be responsive/adaptive to how the visitor is viewing it (ie: on a computer, tablet, or smartphone)?
* Do you offer maintenance and/or ongoing support for my website?
* How will you handle issues with my site down the road? (ie: I want it fixed within 24 hours)
* How much can I expect to pay for the services that you’ll provide? (ie: hourly rate; flat fee based on project; etc.)
* What guarantees do you provide? (ie: money-back if you’re not happy with the work)
All of these questions are important to ask so that you can be sure that your money is being well spent. If you don’t feel comfortable with the response to something in particular, just keep looking for someone who meets your needs.
FILLING OUT A JOB APPLICATION
Before you start looking for a website designer Calgary, you’ll need to figure out what kind of website you want. It’s important to know what your goals are and how the site will be used so that the person you hire can tailor their service towards those needs.
Some questions you should be asking yourself:
* What is the purpose of my website? (ie: to attract customers, to sell products, to educate people)
* Where will my website be hosted? (ie: on the web host of my choice or with the web designer)
* Will I have complete ownership over my site design and content? (ie: there are some services that give you some ownership while others don’t)
* Who will be responsible for technical support? (ie: me,. the web designer, or both of us?)
* What is the timeline for my website? (ie: how long will it take the web designer to complete this project)
* Do I want to customize the site in any way? (ie: will I be able to upload my own graphics, etc. ?)
* How much of your time will this project take? (ie: how many hours per week?)
* How much will this website cost me? (ie: what is the total budget for all services)
Once you have a good idea of what kind of site you want, it’s time to look for a website designer Calgary. Here are some top 3 places to find one online:
1. YELP – There are lots of web designers listed on Yelp so you have a better chance of finding exactly what you’re looking for by sorting through the results. You can compare some reviews or see if there are any reviews about the company itself before making your decision.
2. LINKEDIN – LinkedIn is a great option because there’s plenty of business owners who have profiles and will be happy to refer someone they trust. It’s always a good idea to reach out on LinkedIn and ask for recommendations.
3. GOOGLE SEARCH – You can also do a simple Google search for terms like “web designers in (insert your city here)” or “freelance web designer” and you’ll get plenty of results that you can browse through until you find the right person for your site.
MAKING YOUR DECISION
Once you have a few individuals or companies that you like, it’s time to choose the right person for your website. It’s always a good idea to get a few quotes from your finalists so that you can compare what they offer and choose the best one for you.
I hope this article has made it easier for you to decide between hiring a web designer and tackling the website yourself. If you have any questions or just want to say hello, feel free to drop us a line!